Hi fall, in all your over-sold pumpkin spice glory! Once a pumpkin spice zealot myself, I can officially say that the world has ruined it and I ate my much anticipated Krispy Kreme pumpkin spice donut this year and felt nothing. With the exception of skinny pumpkin dip and maybe a pumpkin k-cup now and then, I think I’m over pumpkin. Now the world just needs to embrace ginger as the new pumpkin and all will be right in the universe.
Anyway, I’ve missed sharing here but have been ruminating so much about blogging and whether it’s dead or not, and when I do feel like writing should I be doing it here, on my other blog, in my journal, for pay only and ramping up my freelance game…the result being that I have been writing nowhere and my head is about to explode. So fuck all that thinking–I’m just going to share some of my favorite things lately and leave it at that.
- Movie rental: The Overnight. Ok, this movie was bananas and if you want just a fun, weird, somewhat NSFW movie to enjoy at home, I highly recommend this. It’s funny and weird and uses male full frontal nudity in a way that might leave you unable to eat for a few days, but it’s worth it. I’m smiling as I type this just thinking about it, as well as shaking my head wondering how to even describe it in a way that makes sense. And deciding that I can’t–so just rent it (if a little nudity and sexuals aren’t no-nos for you) and enjoy.
- Movie at the theater: The Visit. I’ve waited so long to write this post that this movie may not even be in the theater anymore, but if it is and you’ve already seen The Martian, go see this. It’s not as scary as it looks and it’s just tense and weird with a twist that definitely redeems M. Night Shyamalan. I mean, it’s no Sixth Sense, but definitely worth seeing, IMO (don’t ask Patrick’s opinion because he hated it.).
- Book: You. Keeping with my theme of weird and suspenseful, this book is what Gone Girl could have been if it merged with American Psycho and the ending didn’t suck. A definite page turner and well-written. Bonus points for the audiobook version.
- Beauty: Press-on nails. When I admired my friend’s manicure a few months ago, she told me they were press-on nails and I was like “no way!” I love a gel manicure as much as the next girl, but I just can’t bring myself to spend $30 or $40 every two weeks. So I tried these for $7 and I am ADDICTED. They look like gel, last for at least a week, if not two, and my cuticles have never looked better because I can’t pick at them with these on. Yes, they have basically ruined my nails underneath, but if you get the kind that stick on instead of glue on, it’s a little better. My mom is going to call and yell at me as soon as she reads this, but I still totally recommend these, especially if you just need nice nails for a one-time occasion. I personally have been wearing them for about two months and won’t be stopping anytime soon because my nails look too good.
- TV shows: Gigi Does It, The Great British Baking Show and Narcos. Props to my mom who recommended Gigi Does It–it’s on IFC and it is HILARIOUS, but raunchy, so if you are offended by raunch, this is not your show. But if you’re not, you must watch it and thank my mom for pointing it out–I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. If you aren’t into raunch, then you definitely must watch The Great British Baking Show on PBS–it is Brit perfection with shabby chic kitchen sets, delectable-sounding desserts like iced buns and other things that we don’t have here, and excellent Brit hosts who says stuff like “positively scrummy.” And on Netflix, Narcos is fascinating.
Anyhoo–those are just a few of my current faves–what are you loving lately?